How women’s musical practices and gendered musical meanings have been reproduced through history.
1. Introduction —
pt. I. Musical meaning and women’s musical practice. 2. Affirming femininity: women singing, women enabling —
3. From affirmation to interruption: women playing instruments —
4. Threatening femininity: women composing/improvising —
5. Towards a model of gendered musical meaning and experience —
pt. II. Gendered musical meaning in contemporary education. 6. Affirming femininity in the music classroom —
7. From affirmation to interruption of femininity in the music classroom —
8. Threatening femininity in the music classroom —
9. The music curriculum and the possibilities for intervention.
Music, Gender, Education
New York : Cambridge University Press, 1997